[Pdns-users] Review for a low traffic / split horizon PowerDNS setup

Schittli Thomas Thomas.Schittli at akros.ch
Wed Jun 13 21:57:20 UTC 2018

Good evening

We're a small company and we would like to replace a bind9 DNS Server and we're not yet sure how we should setup PowerDNS.
The current configuration looks like this:

-           Bind9, 1 master and 1 slave Server

-           8 very small DNS zones for partners, each Zone has just about 7 DNS entries

-           The main authoritative DNS Zone has about 30 DNS entries

-           We do not need sophisticated protection against flood attacks

It would be great if someone could review our idea for the PowerDNS server configuration:

-           Basic decisions

o   We prefer to have just two Servers (master and slave),
without additional Servers for e.g. a database or dnsdist (to keep it simple)

o   The selected Admin Web interface: Poweradmin

o   Backend: Bind Files (because performance is no issue and to keep it simple)

-           Ubuntu Server #1 (Master)

o   The authoritative Primary Name Server

o   Recursor,
with Lua scripting to configure the split horizon dns zones

-           Ubuntu Server #2 (Slave)

o   The Secondary Name Server

o   Recursor,
with Lua scripting to configure the split horizon dns zones

I hope that the most basic decision to use PowerDNS even for such a small setup is OK :-)
Does this concept looks good or should we change something?

Thank you very much for any review and feedback!
Kind regards,
Thomas