[Pdns-users] Replacing only certain records

Jack Rabbit b2fd80ea44ef7ca2ec6172a2df5b5d at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 03:53:10 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:08 PM, David <opendak at shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 2018-06-11 4:01 PM, Jack Rabbit wrote:
>
>> I've asked in IRC but was instructed to ask here.
>>

> [snip a ton of stuff]
>

>> Is there a way to have, say, the recursor query 8.8.8.8 if 1.1.1.1
>> returns an NXDOMAIN for a record? Or the auth return a record from 8.8.8.8
>> if it doesn't find the record in its DB?
>>
> Sounds like you might want to see if just using RPZ to re-write what you
> need would work?
>
> I could, and I've been reading up about RPZ, but I suppose that would
necessitate me not using a DB-driven backend, correct? (Or I guess I could
still, by generating/publishing an RPZ feed.)

It looks like the only record type I can "replace" with via RPZ is a CNAME;
is this correct? That may be a somewhat limiting factor at some point in
the future (e.g. MX records pointing to CNAMEs is expressly forbidden by
RFC2181, which does tend to break a fair bit of assumptions MTAs make)...

--
Jackrabbit