[Pdns-users] PowerDNS resource usage

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Jul 27 09:24:38 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 03:51:32PM -0600, George wrote:
> I am going to host DNS for 2000+ domains on one PowerDNS master server and
> 3 slaves. They all will run mysql server as backend. Can you please tell me
> how many server resources(CPU, RAM) would be good for such a setup and what
> if any suggestions there are for optimizing the setup?

For most real life scenarios, a Raspberry Pi would fit your needs with 2000
"typical" domain names.

The biggest determinant in performance is if your database can fit
everything in RAM and is happy with the amount of records. Below a few
million records, "this always works".

People often get very disappointing results with databases hosted far away
on overprovisioned cheap virtual servers, try not to do that.

Good luck!

	Bert