[Pdns-users] Recursor ask zones first to authoritative server

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Tue Feb 20 10:49:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:19:39AM +0100, Davide Panarese wrote:
> i have a lot of local zones into my Authoritative server that are not
> published on the internet and it’s a big deal to specify all of them to
> recursor.conf  (forward-zone parameter), because we add local domains
> every days.

You can load the forwarded zones from an external file (forward-zones-file).
You can reload that list with rec_control reload-zones, without restarting
the nameserver.  I really suggest you do that.

All other solutions are painful.

> What i would have is that Recursor/DNSdist ask before to Authoritative
> server to check if there is the asked domain and, if not, ask to internet
> dns root servers.

And what if a packet is dropped? Ask the rootservers anyhow? The best way
really is to provision that list of zones.

	Bert