[Pdns-users] Announcing: DNS over HTTPS on doh.powerdns.org

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Aug 25 19:30:55 UTC 2018

> On Aug 25, 2018, at 6:05 AM, bert hubert <bert.hubert at powerdns.com> wrote:
>
> Dear PowerDNS people,
>
> [tl;dr, if you want to do DNS over HTTPs, you can configure
> https://doh.powerdns.org/ in Firefox Nightly [1].  This is built on the
> dnsdist DoH branch [2].  If you are a service provider, we need to hear from
> you: what features do you need from us before you'll consider enabling DNS
> over TLS and DNS over HTTPs for you users]

Not sure what percentage of your ISP users we represent, but our situation probably resembles other small/regional ISPs - started in the dialup era, small but support/MSP-heavy user base leaning towards commercial, sysadmin(s) working on contract.  Philosophically, we’d love to just flip a config bit in our two resolvers and offer both DNS over TLS and DoH and tout the privacy benefits to the users who care.  I suspect that this is probably more complex than that and involves spending precious admin time researching and vetting.  So my really short list:

- The 1-2 hour HOWTO-type document that covers config and monitoring (like is there a check_doh for nagios?)
- A 1 hour FAQ that has a good end-user pitch and something to address how wrapping any kind of TLS handshake and TCP around DNS does not make it noticeably slower for end users than good old UDP

Thanks!

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman