[Pdns-users] Efficient query logging

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Wed Apr 4 13:57:47 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 04/04/2018 03:52 PM, Brian Candler wrote:
> One question.  Protobuf messages are in general not self-delimiting[^1],
> but I couldn't find any description of how PDNS delimits protobuf
> messages.  Are they wrapped?  Or does tag 1 mark the start of each
> message (which I note is the only required tag) [^2]?

Each message is currently prefixed by a two-bytes length in network byte
order, as is customary for protobuf-encoded messages over TCP.

> Perhaps someone can share some code which is capable of receiving these
> messages, e.g. as referred to in> https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/6294

We provide a sample receiver written in Python [1]. The Spamhaus project
also provides a more advanced logger [2].

[1]: https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/blob/master/contrib/ProtobufLogger.py
[2]: https://github.com/spamhaus/pdns-logger/

--
Remi Gacogne