[Pdns-users] Efficient query logging

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 4 13:52:24 UTC 2018

On 03/04/2018 22:39, Brian Candler wrote:
> Aha, "powerdns recursor protobuf export" was the search term I needed,
> thanks!
>
> https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/protobuf.html
One question.  Protobuf messages are in general not self-delimiting[^1],
but I couldn't find any description of how PDNS delimits protobuf
messages.  Are they wrapped?  Or does tag 1 mark the start of each
message (which I note is the only required tag) [^2]?

Perhaps someone can share some code which is capable of receiving these
messages, e.g. as referred to in
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/6294

Thanks,

Brian.

[^1]
https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/techniques#streaming

[^2] This would depend on the generator outputting tags in increasing
tag sequence, which is a "should" requirement for generators, but
parsers are not supposed to depend on it.

https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/encoding#order