[Pdns-users] Alternative way to log in pdns_recursor when OS holds Syslog hostage

Nicholas Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Thu Nov 2 23:09:41 UTC 2017

So, best I can figure, there are two options for logging in PowerDNS
Recursor:

- Use --disable-syslog, and it will log to stdout, which systemd will send
to journald
- Use --disable-syslog=no, and it will log to syslog (optionally with
logging-facility=N so that you can use syslog.conf to control into which
file(s) the logs go)

Here's my problem: I've installed PowerDNS Recursor on a POE-powered
embedded device (if you're curious, it's a UniFi Cloud Key that I
repurposed and removed the Ubiquiti software from). It works GREAT! I have
a tiny, flip-phone-sized, POE-powered, DNS recursor server. Couldn't be
happier. Except...

This embedded device uses BusyBox. BusyBox points journald to syslogd, so
it  doesn't matter much whether I use --disable-syslog or
--disable-syslog=no ... it still goes to syslog (although the latter lets
me control the facility, except...). Worse, BusyBox has its own syslogd
implementation that does not have any syslog.conf file. Its options are:

- Write all messages from all processes to one file (defaults to
`/var/log/messages` if you don't specify an actual file name with this
option)
- Log to host:port
- Log to a shared memory buffer that can be read with logread (the default
option of these three options if none are specified)

That's it. No other options. But I _really_ want my PowerDNS Recursor logs
to go into their own pdns.log file.

Do I have an other options here that I'm not seeing? Or am I just stuck
with no logs as a result of my decision to use this device?

Thanks!

Nick