[Pdns-users] Multiple backends with same zone

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Sat Jan 28 12:42:54 UTC 2017

Hi Klaus,

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 16:12:23 +0100
Klaus Darilion <klaus.mailinglists at pernau.at> wrote:

> What is the expected result if a zone is provisioned in 2 active
> backends. eg: launch=bind,gpgsql
>
> I know PDNS checks both backends for the best matching zone (getAuth).
> But I would expect that if PDNS finds out that both backends provide the
> zone, only the first configured backend is actually queried for the
> content. But I do see also queries in the postgresql backend for NS and
> domain metadata which confuses me.

Multiple backend behaviour with the same zone in both backends is 'undefined' and may change between releases.
At the moment I believe that 'first backend wins'.

Having DNSSEC enabled on a backend makes PowerDNS query those backends for metadata and key material. However, also this behaviour is underdocumented.

We have the intention of determining the proper behaviour of multi-backend setups in a future version of PowerDNS.

--
Pieter Lexis
PowerDNS.COM BV -- https://www.powerdns.com