[Pdns-users] Performance and Tuning Recommendation

Wed Jan 11 11:29:47 UTC 2017

Hi!

I hav some input for https://doc.powerdns.com/md/authoritative/performance/:

Just recently we did some performance debugging and found out that
plenty of CPU was wasted due to the default encryption between PDNS and
the Postgres DB. By disabling encryption we achieved around 30% more
q/s, and by using an Unix socket instead of IP we gained another 10%.
Thus, I would recommend some words like this to be added:

Backend Connectivity
The connection between the PDNS and the backend storage may be a
bottleneck too. E.g. if you are using the Postgresql backend, Postgresql
by default uses TLs encryption which consumes noticeable CPU.
Thus, if not needed, disable encryption to the backend, or even better,
use a Unix socket connection instead of IP if the database runs on the
same server.

regards
Klaus