[Pdns-users] install version 3.4.5 on Ubuntu 16.04

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Sat Feb 18 08:22:57 UTC 2017

On 18/02/2017 00:58, Seyed Hossein Mortazavi wrote:
> I need to install pdns-server and pdns-backend-mysql 3.4.5 on Ubuntu
> 16.04. If I use the following command:
>
> sudo apt-get install pdns-backend-mysql
> then version 4 will be installed. I need version 3.4.5

If you must use 3.x then go to here:
https://www.powerdns.com/downloads.html
and look under "Legacy releases". I believe these are statically linked
and have no dependencies.

> Also this also won't work:
>
> sudo apt-get install pdns-backend-mysql=3.4.5
> (other combinations such as 3.4.5-1build2_amd64 also don't work).
>
> I can find the package here:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/pdns-backend-mysql/3.4.5-1build2

That's just the mysql backend. For pdns-server see here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/amd64/pdns-server/

In both cases you'll see that all the 3.x packages were obsoleted before
xenial was released.  Unfortunately, the final release of xenial
included powerdns 4.0.0 alpha 2 which was a broken version :-(

If you *can* use 4.0.x (and it's very good) then you can get the latest
stable version from their repository, follow the instructions here:
https://repo.powerdns.com/

HTH,

Brian.