[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Lua/GSLB records: we need your feedback

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri Dec 15 09:30:32 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I just posted information about our new Lua records on
https://blog.powerdns.com/2017/12/15/powerdns-authoritative-lua-records/ and
we really need your feedback to get this right, as we plan to release this
feature in January.

These Lua records power our 'powerdns.org' information records like
whoami-ecs.lua.powerdns.org, whoami.ipv4.powerdns.org,
whoami.ipv6.powerdns.log and perhaps the most fun, 'dig -t loc
latlon.lua.powerdns.org'.

>From the post:

 We are happy to share a new development with you, one that we hinted at over
 a year ago: Lua resource records.  In this post, we ask for your help: did
 we get the feature right?  Are we missing important things?  The goal is to
 release Lua records in January 2018, but we can only make that with your
 testing and feedback!  At the end of this post you will find exact
 instructions how to test the new LUA records.

 While PowerDNS ships with a powerful geographical backend (geoip), there was
 a demand for more broader solutions that include uptime monitoring, which in
 addition could run from existing zones.

 After several trials, we have settled on “LUA” resource records, which look like this:

 @   IN   LUA   A   "ifportup(443, {'52.48.64.3', '45.55.10.200'})"

 When inserted in a zone with LUA records enabled, any lookups for your
 domain name will now return one of the listed IP addresses that listens on
 port 443.  If one is down, only the other gets returned.  If both are down,
 both get returned.

 But if both are up, wouldn’t it be great if we could return the ‘best’ IP address for that client? Say no more:

 @    IN   LUA A ( "ifportup(443, {'52.48.64.3', '45.55.10.200'}, "
                   "{selector='closest'}                          ")

Please head to https://blog.powerdns.com/2017/12/15/powerdns-authoritative-lua-records/
to learn more, and please let us know your thoughts!

	Bert