[Pdns-users] Newbie questions

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Aug 11 07:53:04 UTC 2017

On 11/08/2017 08:42, Rokkhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am installing pdns auth an recursor on my server to make some tests
> but I have a question. Could it be possible to configure recursor to
> handle all the request from computers and configure only to forward
> internal domains to auth server?
Yes.  Look at the "forward-zones" and "forward-zones-file" options.
https://doc.powerdns.com/md/recursor/settings/

> Does it make sense?
Yes if you have internal-only domains which are not visible on the
public Internet (i.e. there are no NS records pointing to the
authoritative nameservers, and/or the authoritative nameservers are not
reachable from the Internet)

> Since the recursor has a cache to store dns queries, wouldn´t be a
> better performance solution?

A better performance solution than what?

You cannot simply point the clients directly at an authoritative server;
you must point them at a recursor.  Actually, pdns authoritative used to
have a built-in recursor option, but this was removed in 4.1.0.

https://doc.powerdns.com/md/authoritative/recursion/

One final hint: if you're on Ubuntu 16.04, make sure that you're not
using the pdns auth server in the Ubuntu repositories. It is an alpha
release which is buggy.  Use the repositories at https://repo.powerdns.com/

HTH,

Brian.