[Pdns-users] Changes between versions

Yves Goergen nospam.list at unclassified.de
Mon Sep 19 20:15:10 UTC 2016

Hello,

I'm preparing a server upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04 and would like
to know what has changed between the packaged versions.

I found out that I'm going to upgrade PowerDNS Server (pdns-server) from
version 3.3.1 to 4.0.0 alpha 2 and Recursor (pdns-recursor) from 3.5.3
to 4.0.0 alpha 2 as well.

Can somebody tell me what the notable changes between these versions
are? I only found very detailed lists of almost every touched line of
source code, most of which I don't understand. I'm looking for added or
removed features, incompatible changes and necessary configuration
updates (especially for MySQL backends).

Also, is it true that Ubuntu has packaged an alpha version into their
LTS distribution? Isn't it that alpha versions are highly unstable, not
much tested, have lots of known bugs and should never be used in
production systems? Or does PowerDNS have another definition of that term?

Yves