[Pdns-users] why self-notification?

geohei board at geohei.lu
Wed May 18 19:33:37 UTC 2016

Hi.

I read your link about publishing real FQDNs an IPs, however I'm very
reluctant to this ... I explain ... I'm not the super pro (as you noticed
already) in this subject and I don't really know about the full range of
potential consequences. I see already now some AXFR attempts from IPs from
parts of the world, where I know that none of my users is or was at this
place. I also do fully understand that you are willing to help (thank you!)
but you need data to feed the machine (clear!). I take this more or less as
a challenge to figure out by myself what goes wrong and why. I just would
need some kicks in the right direction.

As far as I understood, the master server checks the MNAME field of the SOA
and doesn't send a NOTIFY to this NS server (id est it takes it out from the
list of NS records found in the master server's database), since this would
result in a self notification. So ... PowerDNS shouldn't notify itself even
without the "prevent-self-notification=yes" option, right?

Thanks,