[Pdns-users] why self-notification?

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Mon May 16 12:37:08 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 04:25:08AM -0700, geohei wrote:
> Yes, 3.3.
> But "prevent-self-notification=yes" still triggers self notifications.
> Why were they implemented at a first place?

It goes like this. A nameserver figures out who claims to be authoritative
for a domain, and then gathers the IP addresses to notify them. From this
list, it is not clear which of those addresses are ours. We need to filter
them out.

There is no system call that says "give me all the IP addresses that are
authoritative for this domain". I can only determine all addresses and then
try to prevent sending a query to ourselves.

I hope this is clear.

If you want help solving your spurious log lines, I need complete and real
non-anonimized data on this list.

https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/

	Bert