[Pdns-users] Question on Recursion

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Wed May 18 08:34:57 UTC 2016

Hello Chris,

On 13 May 2016, at 15:23, Chris Fokkenrood wrote:

> At the moment we are running a test with powerdns v3, but cannot get
> this
> version to behave the way we want it to.
>
> The idea is to overwrite some subdomains of our (dns is externally
> hosted)
> own domain to local server IP-addresses. This way we don't have to
> enable
> nat-reflection on our firewall. Subdomains which are not in the mysql
> backend return an error now, but should be recursed to the internet.
>
> Do you have any tips for us, how to configure powerdns v3 to do this ?

Point your end users (‘workstations’) at the Recursor, not the
Authoritative. In the Recursor, either override your local names using
auth-zones or export-etc-hosts, or use forward-zones to point to an
Authoritative (which you can run on 127.0.0.1 on the same box) where you
have the local zones.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk