[Pdns-users] ddns performance of pdns

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Thu Feb 25 13:54:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 12:01:19PM +0100, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I wanted to migrate my ddns master from bind to pdns. 3 DHCP
> Servers sent a about 50 updates per second to the pdns 3.4.8 and
> only one or two updates per second could be successfully commited to
> the database.
>
> All failed transactions rolled back after trying to edit the SOA record.
>
> I'm using 5.1.73-log MySQL Community Server.
>
> I'm using REPEATABLE-READ transaction-isolation and
>
> distributor-threads=2
> receiver-threads=10
>
> as pdns performance settings.
>
> I tried to disable SOA-EDITs with domainmetadata
>
> SOA-EDIT-DNSUPDATE   | SOA-EDIT
> SOA-EDIT             | NONE
>
> but that didn't change anything.
>
> What DDNS performance do you get from your pdns instances with which
> settings?
>
> Thanks Thomas

Hi Thomas,

You will need to investigate your DB performance. Turn on query logging
and slow query logging. Also check system I/O stats to see if you have
a bottleneck there. We are just getting started on adding a DDNS component
to our network so I do not have any firsthand experience with it and the
queries it uses. Good luck in your hunt for the bottleneck.

Regards,
Ken