[Pdns-users] Doubt about "edns-subnet-whitelist" directive

王璀WANG Cui wangc at essilorchina.com
Thu Aug 4 23:58:22 UTC 2016

> I couldn't see this setting in the current documentation, but I found from
> a previous announcement:
>
> https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2015-Novem
> ber/011803.html
>
> "It works by setting edns-subnet-whitelist to a list of domain names or
> nameserver netmasks that should be getting EDNS Client Subnet queries."
>
> So it seems to be behaving as stated: if it's a subnet, it matches against
> the remote nameserver which the query is being sent to.

This setting is not documented on
https://doc.powerdns.com/md/recursor/settings/ yet.
But in the recursor.conf there is below section to control ECS:
#################################
# edns-subnet-whitelist List of netmasks and domains that we should enable
EDNS subnet for
#
# edns-subnet-whitelist=

I confirm that like you said, it is to whitelist the forwarder (8.8.8.8 in
my case), not to whitelist the requester, so my previous understanding is
wrong.

Anyway, the setting description is quite vague, better make it more clearer
to avoid such misunderstanding as I did...

--
This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and intended for use by
the above named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient,