[Pdns-users] Installing PowerDNS 4.x authorative server on Debian Jessie

Volker Janzen volker at janzen.onl
Tue Aug 2 19:55:45 UTC 2016

Hi Remi,

> Sorry if I have been unclear about that yesterday, when I wrote "I'm
> pretty sure you are going to have other issues if you run Jessie on top
> of an older kernel than the one shipped with Jessie" I wasn't referring
> to issues with PowerDNS. But I have been bitten by this kind of setup
> before, with the user space assuming support for features that the
> kernel didn't have, so I'd be cautious if I were you.

This evening I did the PowerDNS update on one OpenVZ container with 2.6.32x kernel the following way:

Move away /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf

apt-get install pdns-server
apt-get install pdns-backend-mysql

Copy pdns.conf to /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/pdns.local.conf
Remove bind backend configuration.
Restart PowerDNS or restart VM.

As you note, this older kernel works without systemd changes. I may now assume this is a problem with systemd on kernel < 3.5.

Regards
   Volker