[Pdns-users] Installing PowerDNS 4.x authorative server on Debian Jessie

Volker Janzen volker at janzen.onl
Mon Aug 1 14:24:06 UTC 2016

Hi,

doing so failed, too.

First problem is, that the bind backup demo config file in pdns.d directory need to be deleted. Otherwhise the gmysql backend will not get activated, whatever you do.

When I run pdns-server from command line, PowerDNS is now starting correct and it seems to respond correct.

Just dpkg is unable to configure pdns-server and systemd is unable to start pdns.

Going back to the start: why can dpkg fail to configure a fresh installed pdns-server package?

I purge everything:

root at pdns:~# dpkg --purge pdns-backend-mysql pdns-server
(Reading database ... 93153 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pdns-backend-mysql (4.0.1-1pdns.jessie) ...
Purging configuration files for pdns-backend-mysql (4.0.1-1pdns.jessie) ...
Removing pdns-server (4.0.1-1pdns.jessie) ...
Purging configuration files for pdns-server (4.0.1-1pdns.jessie) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...

/etc/powerdns no longer exists.

root at pdns:~# apt-get install pdns-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  pdns-backend
  pdns-server
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1425 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6751 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package pdns-server.
(Reading database ... 93113 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../pdns-server_4.0.1-1pdns.jessie_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking pdns-server (4.0.1-1pdns.jessie) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u4) ...
Setting up pdns-server (4.0.1-1pdns.jessie) ...

Creating config file /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf with new version

Creating config file /etc/default/pdns with new version

Creating config file /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/pdns.local.conf with new version

Creating config file /etc/powerdns/pdns.d/pdns.simplebind.conf with new version
Job for pdns.service failed. See 'systemctl status pdns.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript pdns, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package pdns-server (--configure):
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u4) ...
 pdns-server
root at pdns:~# systemctl status pdns.service
* pdns.service - PowerDNS Authoritative Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pdns.service; enabled)
   Active: activating (start) since Mon 2016-08-01 16:22:04 CEST; 1ms ago
     Docs: man:pdns_server(1)
           man:pdns_control(1)
           https://doc.powerdns.com
 Main PID: 1870 (systemd)
   CGroup: /system.slice/pdns.service
           `-1870 /sbin/init

journal:
Aug 01 16:23:04 pdns systemd[1]: pdns.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=227/N
Aug 01 16:23:04 pdns systemd[1]: Failed to start PowerDNS Authoritative Server.