[Pdns-users] Installing PowerDNS 4.x authorative server on Debian Jessie

Volker Janzen volker at janzen.onl
Mon Aug 1 14:03:03 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am beginning to understand what caused my problem.

First, the library error is caused by a binary in /usr/local/sbin/pdns_server, that is a remain of an older build I did before switching to the 3.x static build deb packages. Neither sysv init nor systemd will access this binary.

Second: I am updating from 3.x to 4.x and I left old pdns.conf in place, which contained a gmysql configuration, of course. The new installation procedure is to install pdns-server first and after this the required backend package. It seems that it is not possible to upgrade a running pdns 3.x gmysql installation to 4.x. The pdns-server package fails with gmysql configuration and the mysql backend package wants to be installed after a fully configured pdns-server. Which will never happen due to the gmysql config.

I think I need to backup my current configuration, purge all pdns packages, make sure whole /etc/powerdns directory is empty and then migrate my configuration to the new pdns.d/pdns.local.conf file.

But I'm still not sure, because systemd / journalctl refuse to print a plain text error message. I got all this from running pdns-server on command line.

Regards
    Volker