[Pdns-users] Modifying DNS Response

Önem Özgülgen onemozgulgen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 22:19:23 UTC 2015

Hello,

I was playing with Lua scripting of PowerDNS and want to learn if something
could be done via preoutquery and/or postresolve functions.

Is it possible to change query sender ip address of the dns packet and
making response to another ip address "legally"?

Let me give an example;

me -  PowerDNS Recursive Server in Amsterdam
you - PowerDNS Authoritative Server in London
they - Client in London

Client "they" is querying helloworld.com domain name via London ip address
to server "me".
Server "me's" forwarding the dns request to authoritative server "you"
because of geobased iptables rules.
Server "you", for sure, will handle the packet and generate a response to
server "me" with the necessary information.
Server "me" will response the package coming from server "you" to client
"they".

What i want to learn is; when client "they" is querying helloworld.com
domain name via London ip address to server "me", and after server "me"
forwarded the dns request to authoritative server "you", could server "you"
generate a response packet directly to client "they" without giving reply
to server "me"?

Hope, i'd explain my question clearly.

Thanks.