[Pdns-users] Is PowerDNS IPv4 only?

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Tue Oct 6 08:15:39 UTC 2015

Hello Thiago,

On 5 Oct 2015, at 22:02, Thiago Farina wrote:

> Reading the source code it seems to be still IPv4 specific, it uses
> sockaddr_in instead of sockaddr_storage.
>
> Are there plans to support IPv6?

Thank you for your concern. As others have pointed out, PowerDNS
supports both v4 and v6 quite well.

Indeed we do not use sockaddr_storage - most sockaddr structures inside
PowerDNS are stored inside what we call a ‘ComboAddress’ which is a
union of _in and _in6, providing benefits similar to _storage, even to
the point of being compatible with it.

That said, at a quick glance I think the HTTP API in the Recursor might
be using _in wrong. If you feel like digging deeper, please have a look
to see if you agree, and if there are any other places in which we
actually do it wrong.

In any case please file a ticket so we can correct the Recursor
situation (the issue is in Socket.accept()).

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk