[Pdns-users] Important PowerDNS announcement: merging with Open-Xchange!

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Sat Mar 28 07:58:45 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

As a followup to the announcement below, we had a great time at World
Hosting Days and met many current and possibly future PowerDNS users.

Some of you have asked for some clarification why we took this step, you can
find interesting perspectives in this The Register article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/24/open_xchange_skype_dovecot_merger/?page=2

"The thing is, PowerDNS may power 40 - 50 per cent of all the domain names
out there – per principal author Bert Hubert – but the company has until now
had a grand total of two staff members. It's impressive that they've been
able to support as many users as they have through big-name customers such
as Deutsche Telekom and BT, but they've been limited on the sales front.

According to Hubert: "We were servicing the needs of hundreds of millions of
internet users and servicing them well, but in the open-source world people
noticed that sometimes PowerDNS development would cease for a month or two,
because we were doing sales."

Merging with Open-Xchange, which has about 150 employees, fixes that problem
for PowerDNS - and does much the same thing for Dovecot too; both companies
can now just get on with it rather than having to tout around for
investments in order to grow."

This link also covers it:
http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/open-xchange-ceo-talks-dovecot-powerdns-mergers-whd-global-2015

And Open-Xchange blogged this:
http://blog.open-xchange.com/2015/03/24/powerdns/

Again, if you have any further questions. please do not hesitate to contact
us!

	Bert