[Pdns-users] Comments requested regarding autoserial

AJ McKee aj.mckee at druid-dns.com
Tue Jul 14 18:47:40 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I think the biggest issue is the documentation around auto-serial. While I
don't use it myself, I can see how installs can become very dependent on it
quickly.

My vote would be to retain the functionality as much as possible or any new
feature be backward compat/emulate the behaviour of current auto serial.

TIA
AJ

On 14 July 2015 at 20:15, Chris Moody <chris at node-nine.com> wrote:

> Please do NOT remove this feature.  I love this behavior and use it at
> all our installs.  It simply needs a bit better documentation.
>
> It saves unnecessary effort and programming logic.  Any humans
> updating records don't have to remember to update the serial for it to
> take effect (ie, less 'advanced' engineering resources are necessary
> to be able to maintain DNS data - think: "uh, I forgot") and we don't
> have to write in any coding logic to calculate and increment serials
> anytime records get updated programmatically (I know, I know - dead
> stupid simple to write...but still).
>
> If we wanted explicit control over serial values, we'd write our own
> code to enforce specifics...but since serial number values have no
> more meaning to us than simply triggering zone transfers/updates, the
> autoserial function rocks.
>
> Our other favorite feature is supermasters...making zone distribution
> dead simple as well...but I digress.
>
> Our vote at Node-Nine is to please leave the autoserial functionality
> intact.
>
> Thanks,
> - -Chris
>
> On 7/14/15 4:56 AM, Pieter Lexis wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We'd like to have your input on a topic we've been discussing
> > internally. In its current state, the autoserial functionality is
> > somewhat incomplete, badly documented and non-intuitive to use.
> >
> > As such, we're currently on the fence on what to do with this
> > feature. In our opinion there are 2 options for autoserial going
> > forward to PowerDNS 4.0:
> >
> > 1. Removal of the functionality 2. Making it a correct and
> > supported feature
> >
> > As such, we'd like to have your input on this topic. Do you use
> > the autoserial functionality? If so, tell us how you us it.
> >
> > You can comment on this issue either by replying to this email, or
> > if you prefer in private by emailing to
> > powerdns.ideas at powerdns.com.

AJ McKee
phone: +353 83 1130 545