[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor works but pdns discards responses

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Thu Jan 29 16:02:31 UTC 2015

Hello Rooster,

On 28 Jan 2015, at 4:35 , rooster <yawowb+pdns-users at nuclei.ca> wrote:

>> We start with pdns_recursor and then forward some to pdns. We had your
>> setup with pdns_recursor behind pdns and had some issues with pdns >= 3.
>> According to the developers that is not really supported. I do not know
>> if what is happening to you is similar.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ken
>

> Thank you for the input. I just verified which versions I have installed :
>
> pdns-server = 3.3
> pdns-recursor = 3.5.3
>
> What should happen is pdns-server should only respond to queries that I have host information for. All other queries should go to pdns-recursor which will then reply back down the chain. There will be no outside access to pdns-recursor, only localhost and other devices inside the local network.

We had a similar report from a Solaris SPARC user; a fix for his problem went into the 3.4.0 release, but we never got an answer about whether it helped.

Can you please try with pens-server 3.4.0 or higher, and let us know if that fixes it?

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/