[Pdns-users] DNS names and strings (was: PowerDNS development plans: 4.x DNSSEC, C++ 2011!)

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Mon Feb 23 18:49:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 12:44:54PM -0600, Nicholas Williams wrote:
> I'm also very interested in finding out more about the change around ASCII
> names.

I can recommend our ever growing set of test cases:
https://github.com/ahupowerdns/pdns/blob/dnsname/pdns/test-dnsname_cc.cc

DNS, surprisingly, is 8-bit clean. You can put any stream of octets in DNS
(up to a certain length). However, this is not how we print it.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4343.txt has some words on this.

> > Unfortunately the term string is used in many different ways.
> > Could you please elaborate on what that means exactly?
> > E.g. will this affect the way NON-ASCII DNS names are stored in backend
> > files?

No, it is not intended to make any changes, except for where we got it
wrong.

Wr internally have loads of places where we convert to and from (un)escaped
versions, add dots, remove dots etc. We get it wrong in some places now.

	Bert