[Pdns-users] Long TXT record

Gabriele Nencioni gabriele.nencioni at register.it
Wed Aug 5 11:50:50 UTC 2015

Hi,
thanks for your reply

On 08/05/2015 10:47 AM, Craig Whitmore wrote:
>> My question is:
>> is it possible perform an alter table to change the column field in a
>> varchar(64000) in order to insert a TXT record longer than 255 bytes?
>> If so, can pdns serve the long TXT records (after tha operation)?
>> If so, how will pdns serve the long records, splitting them?
>
> You cannot have a single TXT record longer than 255 characters..
>
> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1035.html Section 2.3.4
>
> And if you want longer records then see..
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4408#section-3.1.3
>
> Do you want to create invalid DNS packets?
Obviously not!

Probably I badly explained myself.

I know that the size limit is 255 chars, and given that there is the way
to create a multiple string in a single dns record;

then my question was: does pdns 2.9.22 support the multiple string once
the the content field size has been changed from varchar(255) to
varchar(64000)?

Regards,
--
Gabriele Nencioni