[Pdns-users] Long TXT record

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Wed Aug 5 10:18:04 UTC 2015

Hi Gabriele,

On 08/05/2015 08:58 AM, Gabriele Nencioni wrote:
> My question is:
> is it possible perform an alter table to change the column field in a
> varchar(64000) in order to insert a TXT record longer than 255 bytes?
> If so, can pdns serve the long TXT records (after tha operation)?
> If so, how will pdns serve the long records, splitting them?
>
> I saw that it is already so with the latest pdns version, but I don't
> know if it is possible with the 2.9.22 version.

It is not possible in the 2.9 series to have TXT records (or content)
longer than 255 characters. You can always create multiple TXT records
for the same name. If you to an alter table, add the larger txt record
and request it, you'll get a broken packet.

Also, please consider upgrading to PowerDNS 3.X as the 2.9 series is
absolutely end of life [1].

Best regards,

Pieter Lexis

1 - https://doc.powerdns.com/md/end-of-life/