[Pdns-users] recursing for records which are missing from authoritative zones

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Wed Apr 29 12:50:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:26:41AM +0300, Kiki wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I'm stull confused about the meaning of "for questions
> for which there is no answer", in the following paragraph:
>
> This means that for questions for which there is no answer, PowerDNS will
> consult the recursor for an recursive query, even if PowerDNS is
> authoritative for a domain!
>

> I thought "an answer" means a record in the PowerDNS database

Hi,

But the authoritative server IS authoritative for that zone. What that
means is that if a record does not exist in the zone DB or backend, a
NXDOMAIN will be returned. It will never recurse because it KNOWS that
the item does not exist. That is what authoritative means. You may
want to try querying the recursor first and have it return any needed
private records using Lua and then get the rest from your authoritative
server.

Regards,
Ken