[Pdns-users] PDNS Authoritative server 2.9.22 on SLES V11?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Sep 22 08:35:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 06:13:15PM -0400, pdns at w3eta.net wrote:
> I manage a few PDNS v2.9.22 authoritative servers on SLES V10 and wee need to
> upgrade the OS to SLES V11. We would prefer not to upgrade PDNS.

We can only recommend that you do. 2.9.22 has known security issues, please
see http://doc.powerdns.com/html/powerdns-advisory-2012-01.html

You would need to run at least 2.99.22.5.

> I was wondering -- does anyone of the list have experience with OS upgrades and
> v2.9.22? Specifically SLES V11?  I'm trying to gauge the risk in updrading just
> the OS and leaving PDNS alone.

The effects are hard to predict, depending on where you got your 2.9.22
binaries. If static, they might have issues with your very much newer
kernel.

If dynamic, you might get a binary that doesn't start anymore.

We would really recommend upgrading to a version of PowerDNS Authoritative
Server that is current.

	Bert