[Pdns-users] my first post

Judd Rogers Watts manasseh at bankmanasseh.com
Mon Jan 20 05:39:22 UTC 2014

Hi:

I have powerdns v 3.3.1 and powerdns-recursor running on a
IBM + RHEL machine (1xx.1xx.1xx.194) with

+manasseh-city.com=1xx.1xx.1xx.195:53;1xx.1xx.1xx.196:53

in the forward-zones-file in the recursor. It all seems to work when I
query powerdns directly from a bash terminal. I've verified in the log
files that the recursor is called and the forward-zones-file is
functioning. As so:

# nslookup manasseh-city.com 1xx.1xx.1xx.194
Server: 1xx.1xx.1xx.194
Address: 1xx.1xx.1xx.194#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: manasseh-city.com
Address: 50.63.72.1

In the Registry, 1xx.1xx.1xx.194 is manasseh-city.com's ns1.

When I query from a browser lookup, or as follows, the recursor isn't
called and hence the forward-zones-file isn't accessed. As so:

# nslookup manasseh-city.com
Server: 75.75.76.76
Address: 75.75.76.76#53

Non-authoritative answer:
*** Can't find manasseh-city.com: No answer

Is there a simple fix for this?
After studying the documentation, I figured out that I can do one of two
things:

1.  write a post-processing-lua script as follows:

       function nxdomain ( ip, domain, qtype )
                ret = {}
               	... call powerdns-recursor ...  -- regardless of
                                                -- how RD bit is set
                ... ret = ...
                return 0, ret
       end
or

2.  write a pre-processing-lua script as follows:
       function preresolve ( remoteip, domain, qtype )
                ... set RD bit to 1   -- force a call to the recursor
                return
       end

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do either. Any help here would be
most appreciated. Thanks.