[Pdns-users] Unable to connect to SQLite database does not exist yet

Wolfgang Faust wolfgangmcq at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 23:22:18 UTC 2014

Just to add my two cents: SQLite needs write access to the *directory* that
the database is in, as well as write access to the file itself. This is
because it stores  temporary files next to the main database file (
http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html#rollback has details). Apparently many
systems which use SQLite will respond with unhelpful messages (PHP for
example just says "unable to open database"). Whether or not this is the
problem here I have no idea (never having used the sqlite backend), but
it's certainly a possibility. If it turns out to be the problem, you'll
probably want to put the database in its own folder so you can set the
permissions without granting extra permissions on anything else.

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Lists <lists at lolling.org> wrote:

> Right now, this is on  a test server in my test environment.  I have two
> test servers using the SQLite backend and both have the same issue.  I am
> setting these up for a POC / evaluation, so I am new to this product.  The
> documentation I have been reading does not really say much about where the
> SQLite database should reside or ownership / permissions.  At least I
> haven't seen any information like that yet.
>
> I moved my SQLite database file to /tmp and changed the ownership to the
> pdns user and pdns group and now pdns starts up.
>
> So are there any best practices for using the SQLite backend?
>
> Thanks,
>

> On 8/28/2014 3:01 PM, bert hubert wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 02:48:50PM -0500, Lists wrote:
>>
>>> launch=gsqlite3
>>> gsqlite3-database=/root/pdns.db
>>>
>>> I have also tried changing permissions and ownership of my pdns
>>> database file, thinking it was a permissions issue but I still get
>>> the following errors in /var/log/messages.
>>>
>>> gsqlite3: connection failed: SQLite database '/root/pdns.db' does
>>> not exist yet
>>> Caught an exception instantiating a backend: Unable to launch
>>> gsqlite3 connection: SQLite database '/root/pdns.db' does not exist
>>> yet
>>>
>> Do you perhaps run with a chroot setting? Can you double triple check the
>> file actually exists on that same same server?
>>
>> If possible, could you 'strace' to see which file PowerDNS tries to open?
>>
>>         Bert

The views expressed above are exclusively mine, if anyone's.