[Pdns-users] [Pdns-dev] Question regarding backend threads in PDNS

Aki Tuomi cmouse at youzen.ext.b2.fi
Wed Oct 30 07:18:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 06:31:19AM +0000, Seema Datar wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I run PDNS with multiple backend threads. I need to introduce counters in the threads.  I also need to flush those counters periodically to a data store. I was evaluating spawning another thread to periodically flush these counters to the datastore. The question is can I spawn another backend thread that does not necessarily implement all the interface methods (lookup, getSOA etc.). What will be a recommended way to achieve this?
>
> Thanks,
> Seema

If you don't mind some ruby/python, you can use remotebackend for this.

# file /etc/powerdns/handler.rb

require 'pdns/remotebackend'

class EmptyHandler < Pdns::Remotebackend::Handler
end

Pdns::Remotebackend::PipeConnector(EmptyHandler).run()

# eof

# file /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf

launch+=remote
remote-connection-string=pipe:command=/etc/powerdns/handler.rb

# eof

sparing any typos you should now have a backend thread that does not
respond to any queries other than "does not exist here".

you can now set it up to do other stuff as well.

Aki