[Pdns-users] Backend support for EDNS0 OPT RR RDATA

Adrian Pasa apasa at iname.com
Fri May 24 02:26:19 UTC 2013

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.
Yes, you're right, that draft did expire in 2008 but it really is a part of a trilogy of drafts.

This newer draft requests an IANA allocation, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kaplan-dnsext-enum-sip-source-ref-opt-code-03

It's really this draft, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kaplan-enum-sip-routing-04, that explains what it's for. Without rehashing it too much, I can say that it’s used in Private ENUM deployments, that it’s used to convey the Calling Party Number along with the Called Party Number in the actual ENUM request, which allow the ENUM / Routing Server to form a response based on both of these numbers. One of the many use cases identified in this document is the Emergency Number Routing scenario which must use the source phone number to route to the correct emergency center.
It’s used by the market leading SBC from Acme Packet in its ENUM request and as we are working on an ENUM based Routing engine which would use PowerDNS, we’d like to be able to support this.
I hope that answers your questions.
Thanks in advance,
Adrian