[Pdns-users] Wildcard record based on type

Fernando Morgenstern fernandomorgenstern.fm at gmail.com
Tue May 14 20:11:44 UTC 2013

Hi John,

I have a service that creates one subdomain for each account. Example:

account1.domain.com
account2.domain.com

I have to create an A record for each subdomain. This is easy since i'm
using the mysql backend.

The issue is that sometimes Powerdns won't "see" the new subdomains. I'm
not able to reproduce this issue easily, but even with the subdomain
created, it takes a while for Powerdns to serve that record properly. In
other words, i see it in the database, but a simple dig directly to
Powerdns won't return it.

A solution that I found was to use a wildcard record. It works perfectly
since all subdomains point to the same IP.

Now i also have to create TXT records ( which varies between accounts ) for
each subdomain so the wildcard for A records stopped working and i'm not
sure about how to deal or fix this.