[Pdns-users] PowerDNS capabilities

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Tue Mar 19 21:56:32 UTC 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:41 PM, Ron Tsoref wrote:

> The PipeBackend seems easy to implement.  Does anyone actually use a PipeBackend in production and can share some general performance information? Is it much slower than other backends?

We've been able to squeeze 50000 qps out of a pipe backend. On a philosophical note, pipes are likely to be faster than TCP/IP, and SQL marshalling/unmarshaling is not free either.

People associate 'text based' with slow, but most SQL protocols are just as parsed, or even more so.

The pipe backend does have a performance bottleneck in 3.2 if you specify a timeout, see http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/ticket/661

	Bert