[Pdns-users] Pdns Remote vs Pipe backend performance

Aleksey Chudov aleksey.chudov at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 00:01:39 UTC 2013

On 07.03.2013 11:16, bert hubert wrote:
> Revision 3111 can be compiled as tar.gz, rpm or deb from:
> https://autotest.powerdns.com/
>
> Can you test?

I repeated all the tests again with a new revision of PowerDNS
3.2.20130307.3111. All test conditions were the same as described in a
previous letter
http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2013-March/009705.html
except for the additional Pipe over unix socket test that was launched
with parameter pipe-command=/var/run/pdns/pipe.sock

Each test was run 3 times for 5 minutes. The table shows the average values.

||PowerDNS 3.2 Backend||Threads||Queries per second||
|Remote HTTP|1|1620|
|Remote HTTP|7|8357|
|Remote Unix Socket|1|7067|
|Remote Unix Socket|7|27150|
|Remote Pipe + Socat|1|3879|
|Remote Pipe + Socat|7|16765|
|Pipe Unix Socket|1|8343|
|Pipe Unix Socket|7|51180|
|Pipe + Socat|1|5009|
|Pipe + Socat|7|25856|

Pipe protocol over unix socket is really fast. Hope that the new
features will be added in one of the next versions of PowerDNS. Thank
you guys for a great work!

Aleksey