[Pdns-users] Screwy pdns configuration.

Peter Nunn pnunn at infoteq.com.au
Sat Mar 9 04:20:55 UTC 2013

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this DNS stuff, but I have had a pdns server running from my local domain for some time (using it to resolve internal address to hosts when I'm inside the network that resolve to external address when I'm outside).

This has been working for a while (I think) with no issues until yesterday when I discovered that the network was working at a snails pace (or so it seemed).

Turns out that its pdns causing the issues (if I remove it from my resolv.conf the problem goes away).

I've set it up to recurse to my isp's dns server and a dig to google.com indicates that this is working (and returns the result VERY quickly), however, when I try and ping google.com I get one ping about every 4-5 seconds with the pdns server in the loop, and about 2 a second without it.

Its odd that with the pdns server being used, the ping's only return an ip too, not the host name as they do when I'm not using pdns.

Any ideas what's going on here and how to trouble shoot it? I've restarted pdns a couple of times, to no avail.

I'm running version 3.1 on Ubuntu.

Thanks heaps

Peter Nunn

--