[Pdns-users] Slave AXFR not working 100% at high rates

Tom van Leeuwen tom.van.leeuwen at saasplaza.com
Fri Jul 19 12:53:17 UTC 2013

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for your response!
I have a simple (crappy!) ruby script to notify all slaves, even with a
progressbar -_-

# File: notify-all-slaves.rb
require 'progressbar'

PASS='secret'
USER='powerdns'
DB='powerdns_db'

domains = `echo "SELECT domains.name FROM domains;" | mysql -N -u#{USER}
-p#{PASS} #{DB}`.split("\n")

pbar = ProgressBar.new('notifies', domains.count)
domains.each do |domain|
  `pdns_control notify #{domain}`
  sleep 1
  pbar.inc
end

pbar.finish

The main problem seems to be that the MASTER is sending out too many
notifies at once. Isn't there a way to limit the notification rate to
sane values???

Mohamed: I don't see why I should set 'disable-axfr=no' on my slave...
Also: My MASTER is not in the zones as an NS record, so the
self-notication is not happening here.
Also: I don't want/need to exclude any slaves from being notified.

Kind regards,
Tom