[Pdns-users] Supermaster & Slaves - Supermaster has to be a listed NS?

Aki Tuomi cmouse at youzen.ext.b2.fi
Fri Jul 5 10:37:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 03:25:51AM -0700, ymicromed wrote:
> Hi Aki,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I meant by my post that the 3 slaves ns1, ns2, ns3 didn't accept the
> notification from the SUPERMASTER ns4.
>
> I've had the same situation, and after rectifying the zone on the master
> ns4, it worked for me, and slaves started axfr transfer from the
> supermaster.
>
> I think 'ALSO-NOTIFY' is meant to let Slaves notify The supermaster, please
> correct me if I'm wrong.
> I never used it before, and btw, could you tell me where should I do it
> please?

Ah sorry, misunderstanding.

rectify-zone is needed in order for powerdns auth server to understand your zone data properly.

The slaves will accept notifications, if you have configured them to accept ns4 as supermaster.

This behaviour is most likely due to the fact that pdns will detect zone change after rectify and sends notification to your slaves.
Rectify command itself does not emit notifications.

ALSO-NOTIFY can be used to notify arbitrary IP address when the zone changes.