[Pdns-users] Checking constraints on MySQL records and auto-rectify

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:33:25 UTC 2013

Thomas,

> At least in my usecase, I'd prefer to place the check logic in to the
> system that fills the pdns database.

> I also think that it is easier to write the check logic with a
> language like Python or Java than with the MySQL Procedure Language.

Absolutely right on both accounts, and if everybody actually used some
sort of provisioning system, the thought wouldn't have crossed my mind.  :)

Unfortunately that is not the case: I see people use old, older, ancient
versions of some sort of Web UI mixed with a bit of MySQL CLI. The
result, as you'll appreciate, is a catastrophe. This is, of course, no
fault of PowerDNS but rather of the simple-minded interface between
humans and the underlying back-end database.

The idea isn't for shops that have a stable provisioning system with
built-in checks. I meant it more for the dozens (hundreds, thousands?)
of people who do ad-hoc INSERT/UPDATEs using whatever they have at their
disposal.

Thanks for your 2¢; hoping to make a € in the course of the day. ;-)

Regards,

        -JP