[Pdns-users] Checking constraints on MySQL records and auto-rectify

Thomas Mieslinger miesi at pc-h.de
Wed Jan 30 08:09:36 UTC 2013

Hi Jan-Piet,

thanks for sharing your ideas.

At least in my usecase, I'd prefer to place the check logic in to the
system that fills the pdns database.

This, of course, has the shortcoming that the database can be in an
inconsistent state.

But, for example, rectify zone is run when all changes for a certain
zone are done, and not for every record changed.

This also enables that one can integrate IP Address Management with DNS.

I also think that it is easier to write the check logic with a language
like Python or Java than with the MySQL Procedure Language.

Once you have written the check logic in your preferred Language, you
can just switch your jdbc or SQLAlchemy driver and use it with a
different Database. Writing it in MySQL Stored Procedure Language ties
you even tighter to that database. But there could be the day where an
important feature like replication or backup is implemented so much
better in a different Database so that you really want to switch.

Just my 2¢

Thomas