[Pdns-users] pdns_control hangs

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 11:47:46 UTC 2013

On 10/01/2013 10:59, shthead wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 6:43 PM, Vincent Hoffman wrote:
>> looking though the log lines such as
>> Jan 10 07:17:13 delphi pdns[31017]: 5046 questions waiting for database
>> attention. Limit is 5000, respawning
>>
>> seem to be disturbingly common, any tuning suggestions? this a pretty
>> powerful box with reasonably tuned mysql but plenty of spare resources.
>
> Hello Vince,
>
> I ran into a similar issue at one stage which turned out to be when
> the server was getting backed up. It might be worth enabling the slow
> query log (if it isn't already enabled) and checking that to see if
> any queries happen to be running for a long time when that happens.
> Also make sure if the tables are InnoDB that you have a large enough
> buffer pool to fit the entire thing in memory, that gives a nice
> boost. Maybe if you want a quick overview of how your server is going
> give this Perl script a go:

Good Idea with the slow query log. Its a read only slave of a master DB,
sadly not an InnoDB DB only myisam. The server has 16Gigs of RAM and I
already have
key_buffer_size    = 1G
I may look into changing the engine to innodb though to allow better
caching (but that opens a whole new can of worms ;)
> http://mysqltuner.pl

I already use this as part of my mysql tuning.
> Does it happen periodically or is it a random occurance?

random as far as I can tell. I'm looking for correlations with network
traffic/backups etc but cant see anything at the moment.

Thanks,
Vince