[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Delegation (SmartConnect Isilon)

Drew Decker drewrockshard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 05:51:06 UTC 2013

Michael,

I think  you only read a few posts on this thread, so I’ll give you some details of what had/has been done up to this point, as I read your entire email and from what you are saying, I’ve already done (which is why I’m reaching out to the community) - correct me if I’m wrong.

I have a single zone: lab.example.com

The isilon needs a delegated zone for it to use, so we simply chose isilon.lab.example.com

From a PowerDNS perspective, lab.example.com lives on a single server pdns01 and the database server runs on its own dedicated hardware pdnsdb01.

A single zone was created - lab.example.com

We added the following DNS records to PowerDNS (in the lab.example.com zone):
labisilon.lab.example.com. 900 IN NS lab-isilon.lab.example.com.
lab-isilon.lab.example.com. 900 IN A x.x.x.x
Once we added this, it still does not work; when we ping labisilon.lab.example.com, it returns the IP from lab-isilon.lab.example.com, which would be as expected, but since the “x.x.x.x” IP is a SmartConnect IP on the Isilon, it actually takes that IP gives a random IP (depends on how the Isilon is configured) back to the client.  So, in our case, we basically round-robin it, so each new request to the isilon should give us a new IP, until we get to the end, and then we start over.
I just need to know if I’m missing something here, and if not, maybe it is an issue with the Isilon, in this case.  I just want to make sure that I’m setting up DNS delegation correctly in PowerDNS, or if I’m missing something PowerDNS specific.
Thanks for your continued input.

--
Drew Decker