[Pdns-users] Incrementing SOA serials?

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:38:03 UTC 2012

> Works perfectly, but what about updating the serial number for the zone in
> the SOA record?  In an SQL master/slave setup I can't think of a reason
> that it would matter.  Any thoughts on that?

I tend to agree that if you're using PowerDNS exclusively as mentioned,
you won't need to bother with the SOA serial number. However: there may
come the day when you'll want to be master for slave AXFRs, at which
time it *does* become important. I'd implement SOA serial number
updating now, before you forget ;-)

        -JP