[Pdns-users] positive responses getting NXDOMAIN set

David Hawthorne dsrthorne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 00:48:47 UTC 2012

I don't know how this is happening and I'm having a hard time tracing the logic in packethandler.cc (pdns-3.1) to find out.  I'm getting positive responses with NXDOMAIN status:

;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; ANSWER SECTION:
foo. 30 IN CNAME foo.bar.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
foo.bar. 60 IN SOA self.com. hostmaster.self.com. 3 60 60 60 60

I suspect it's because it's doing a second lookup for foo.bar since foo was CNAME'd to foo.bar, and not finding an answer there, so setting NXDOMAIN on the response.  I suspect it's doing this because I've hard-wired getSOA to fill in hard-coded defaults and always return true.

Does that explanation make sense?  Secondly, is there a configuration change I can make to tell pdns not to do a SOA lookup when it gets a CNAME response back from the backend, and to just return that CNAME response to the client?

Thanks!