[Pdns-users] Automatically delete zones that are deleted on Supermaster

Posner, Sebastian s.posner at telekom.de
Tue Oct 30 17:48:03 UTC 2012

a b wrote:

> Nevertheless, in my experience, this should be handled by the pdns software.
> I'm thinking that if pdns supermaster is capable of "persuading" a superslave
> to become a slave for a domain, and then a transfer takes place, would it not
> be logical to expect that when said domain is removed from the supermaster,
> the superslave gets a message to ditch said domain?

A supermaster is only supermaster from the superslaves point of view.
A pdns superslave is in absolutely no way bound to have another pdns
acting as supermaster. This is due to the means that are used for
supermaster-superslave communications: DNS onboard means.

In fact, I'm running a pdns as superslave to a stock bind9.
Works like a charm.

Superslave operation is nothing but a special way to treat DNS notifies
received from a remote server for a domain we ware not authoritative/
configured for. There is no special "supermaster message type" the
supermaster must know about and use for communications with the superslave.
Hence, there is nothing that can be changed on supermaster side to
communicate zone deletions to a superslave.

The changes would thus have to be made on superslave side:
Eitehr one would have to change how superslave reacts when a supermaster
ceases to claim responsibility for a zone it has caused to be created;
or you use an addon-tool like the on from Mark Scholten that generally
does exactly this - Check for all slave domains with the according master
whether it's still present, and start giving it the count if it isn't.

Kind regards,

Sebastian