[Pdns-users] Automatically delete zones that are deleted on Supermaster

Marc Haber mh+pdns-users at zugschlus.de
Tue Oct 30 11:13:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 07:55:01PM +0100, a b wrote:
> > You could do the replication in the database (e.g. postgresql with
> > slony). Then you do not need the supermaster feature.
>
> That is something we are actually trying to avoid at all costs: we
> have Oracle doing regular notify and transfer requests on port 53.
>
> We explicitly do not want to depend on any particular database
> features for DNS records' replication.

Would it be feasible to build a fully RFC 1925 (6a) [1] compliant
solution?

(1)
Have a supermaster SM run from Oracle

(2)
Have a single superslave SS run against the supermaster, replicating
via DNS

(3)
Have SS run against a MySQL backend which does MySQL replication to
your normal slaves NS1 up to NSx.

That way, you only have to clean up one superslave, and you don't
"depend" on MySQL as you can easily replace the MySQL setup with any
other replication mechanismus including something resembling your
existing supermaster/superslave setup without having to touch the
Oracle - SM setup.

Greetings
Marc

[1] It is always possible to add another level of indirection